Saturday, April 15, 2006

brain went where?

I have this wonderful ability to organize seperate storylines in my head and keep them straight. I am currently reading 3 books (fantasy, biography, and romance) while editing a fourth (fantasy of my own invention). I can set one down and two minutes pick up another and not be confused at all.

Wish I could just move that outside of my head, and actually into my life.

I've been so disorganized [my whole life] that it's really getting to be a problem. In the past it was a nuisance and I could usually patch something up last minute, sometimes to amazing results that surprised myself, but usually just enough to get by. I'm finding that Real Life doesn't quite work like that, and my original tactics are far outdated. I've done some things in the way of getting back on track, but not enough. I actually have to put the forms and statements and whatnot INTO the folders. Life will not automatically allign itself into neat piles just because I bought a few folios and a tub. A nice green tub. Still no magically flying papers.

And in this attempt to mold and bend and reshape a stubborn part of my character, I need distraction, to keep sane. Or keep from going sane. "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!" (on a bumper sticker somewhere). The storylines I am currently involving myself with in my (limited) free time;

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
I actually just finished The Golden Compass, the first book in the series. It's been quite a while since I've been so drawn in by a book! Pullman's style of writing is realistically descriptive, and his characters seem almost tangible. I espcially liked Iorek Byrnison and the whole idea of the Althiometer. I will soon be embarking on The Subtle Knife and I can't wait!

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan
Anyone who's ever had and loved a dog will connect with this book. John Grogan recounts the life of his big, lumbering lab, with enough energy and love to fuel an army of hummers.

Gone to the Dogs By Emily Carmichael
A romance about a bombshell blonde forced to live out the pentance of her previous, wild life in the form of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Piggy; therapy dog and matchmaker. I especially love the bits from 'Piggy's' point of view. :-)

Zanadie by Me!
A simple fantasy story about a girl going on a journey to help a friend and discover herself. Needs much editing. Is currently getting much editing. To be quite honest, seeing the red pen makes me feel good about it, like it's actually getting somewhere. Once I'm able to fill in the plot caverns, I'll let other people Red-Pen it. I just don't want them falling into a literary crevasse.

And now I think I'll go and try to organize ... I've just collected myself a nice little pile. Little piles make me feel good, especially if they have somewhere to go. :-)

1 Comments:

At 5:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of your comments are great! I've got a planner time.mine -- a 17-month planner I got at Borders. It's spiral bound with enough space to write several things in per day, but not enough to make you feel anal. Of course, the big caveat is that you have to use it! Everyone's lives are too busy to allow for keeping everything straight in your head, so try something else!! Anonymom~~

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home